Asm. Huber Urges Students to Apply for CalGrants by March 2nd Deadline

Assemblymember Alyson Huber, a past Cal Grant recipient, wants to remind students and parents that March 2nd is the deadline to apply for CalGrants. Cal Grants, a need-based financial aid program, has been a big part of making college affordable for many California families. To assist students with applying for CalGrants and other financial aid, Assemblymember Huber also announced Cash for College workshops being held in January and February around the Sacramento region.

“Paying for school is tough. I know because I was the first in my family to graduate from college and financial aid helped make it possible for me to succeed,” said Assemblymember Alyson Huber. “Today, every low- or moderate-income student who meets the academic standards is guaranteed a Cal Grant award and we must do everything we can to ensure that every eligible student takes advantage of this extraordinary opportunity.”

In the 10th Assembly District, Cash for College Workshops are being held at Cordova High School on January 26th from 6:30-8:30pm and at Florin High School on February 9th from 6-8pm. High school seniors who attend a Cash for College workshop and apply for a Cal Grant by March 2nd could receive an extra $1,000 scholarship. For a list of additional workshops locations and dates click here.

Eligible students receive grants for tuition and fees at the California State University or the University of California. Awards are also given to community college students and students entering private California colleges, including technical education programs.

Students must apply for a Cal Grant by submitting a Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Form and a Cal Grant Grade Point Average Verification Form. Changes in the law guarantee that every eligible student will get a Cal Grant award of up to $11,124 a year, depending on the cost of their college or university, their financial need and the type of grant. One of the most important things to note, Cal Grants do not have to be repaid.

For more information on the Cal Grant Program, how to obtain an application, or how to fill out an application, high school students can contact their counselors, or call the California Student Aid Commission at 1-888-224-7268. Additionally, the commission has a web site.

For more information, please call (916) 319-2010.

Similar Posts:

    None Found

Short URL:

Posted by Assemblymember Huber on Jan 18 2011. Filed under Schools, Viewpoints. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Photo Gallery

The Rancho Cordova Post is a Metro Media publication a partner in SLOAN and a member of Sacramento Connect.