Bus, Light Rail Schedule Changes to Go Into Effect Sunday
A $25 million budget shortfall resulted in Sacramento Regional Transit board members approving drastic schedule changes across the board in March. Those schedule changes will officially go into effect on Sunday, and over half of Sacramento County’s routes will be altered or eliminated.
Starting Sunday, no late night services will be offered for light rail or bus routes. The last train passing through Rancho Cordova will leave the Sacramento Valley Station at 8:58 p.m. and will arrive at the Sunrise Station at 9:40 p.m.; after returning to the downtown station, no more light rail routes will be started.
Regional Transit will also discontinue 26 routes during the week, 13 routes on Saturday and four routes on Sunday. Though many of these routes do not pass through Rancho Cordova, some local routes were targeted for elimination:
- Route 28, which ran from Folsom Boulevard to Fair Oaks Boulevard, will be discontinued on Saturdays
- Route 36, which ran along Folsom Boulevard, will be discontinued
- Route 73, which followed White Rock Road, will be discontinued
- Route 74, which followed International Drive, will be eliminated on Saturdays
- Route 261, which serviced Rosemont, La Riviera and Lincoln Village, will be discontinued
In addition, some local routes have been changed so that they service a smaller area or make less frequent stops:
- All light rail stops will be adjusted to operate every 30 minutes on weekends
- Route 28 will no longer service the Mather Field and Zinfandel light rail stations and will only run from Cordova Town Center to Sunrise Mall
The changes are expected to save the struggling transit system $11.6 million for the coming fiscal year. On top of the service changes, Regional Transit said in March that it will be laying off approximately 200 employees by September; the restoration of state transit assistance funds as well as revenue from the “Park-Pay-and-Ride” program are expected to help close the budget shortfall facing the transit system.
For more information on route changes, Sacramento Regional Transit has created a list of affected routes and the changes to take place on Sunday here.
- None Found
Short URL: http://www.ranchocordovapost.com/?p=10099